Which type of holiday Accommodation should I choose?
Choice is not something you’ll be short of when researching where to stay in Lanzarote.
When you’re booking your holiday, you have a number of accommodation options available to you:
- AI – All Inclusive, sometime meaning everything including drinks, others many mean all food with drinks requiring the purchase of an extra package.
- Half Board – Usually breakfast and then dinner, although some hotels can be flexible and provide lunch if you ask.
- Bed and Breakfast – Breakfast only options usually include a good size and quality of continental and cooked breakfast.
- Self Catering – Some hotels are designed like small villas or duplexes, with kitchen facilities included. Most of these hotels offer a choice of self-catering, breakfast, half-board, full-board or AI (where applicable). This can be a great mix of both worlds, offering on-site dining choices but the option to cook for yourself too.
Self Catering Apartments
Lanzarote has plenty of self-catering tourist rental apartments. Usually let for 7, 10 or 14 days, there are some that charge by the day, meaning you could move around and see more of the island, staying in a few places. You can book in a number of ways, from large holiday booking websites, to Facebook pages or direct with owners via their private websites. Do bear in mind, it helps to hire a car when staying self catering, as small local stores tend to be more expensive than a larger supermarket and if nothing else, its much easier for transporting your 8 litre bottles of drinking water.
There are a large selection of Villas available for holiday rental in Lanzarote. A great option of you prefer to do your own thing. From small one bedroom bungalows, to large Villas sleeping 8 or 10 with private swimming pool and plenty of space. Just like the apartments, there are a number of ways of book villas, whether its dedicated holiday villa websites, to Facebook pages and groups or direct with the owners via their private website.
With high demand and competition, villas are generally very well maintained and furnished, usually offering internet and satellite TV as part of the package. Most Villas owners will use a property maintenance group that manages the Villa and pool cleaning, with a 24 hour telephone service in case of any problems or emergencies.
A detached 2 bedroom Villa with a private swimming pool will rent out at anywhere from 500-1000 Euros per week, depending on location, quality and time of year. You can of course keep an eye out for last minute deals (some Villa owners prefer to offer a reduced rental rate when people cancel last minute rather than leave the villa empty). Bear in mind, prices increase for the Summer holidays and Christmas/New Year period.
Retreats and Casa Rurals
Eco-retreats and Casa Rurals are usually a bit off the beaten track and designed to be a much simpler and quieter affair than tourist resort hotels. Most work on a bed and breakfast basis, although may offer on-site or nearby restaurants. Search for these online, with many being listed on official tourist websites, although you can find some listed on large holiday booking sites too. You will need a hire car to get to the retreats and Casa Rurals in Lanzarote.
Which resort is best for me?
- Many All-Inclusive Hotels
- Family Friendly
- Slightly older clientéle
- Great for windsurfing and beaches
Puerto del Carmen
- Lots of self catering Apartments close to the beach and villas in walking distance to the beach or harbour area
- Favoured by Brits and Irish
- Very active nightlife with disco bars and karaoke bars open until 5am.
- Younger clientéle, couples and groups/mutli-family
- Large selection of bars and restaurants
- Close to airport
- Many 4 and 5 Star Hotels
- Upmarket clientelle
- Family Friendly
- Villas all over the resort, mainly focused on Montaña Roja or Faro Park
- Great for beaches
This is of course a generaliasation, the main tourist resorts are well developed and offer a range of accommodation to suit all visitors. You can of course, have a great night out in Playa Blanca, or enjoy a young couples holiday in Costa Teguise. This is meant as a guide and is not definitive.